If you want to know how to make beef enchiladas this recipe is exactly what you are looking for. There are no shortcuts in this dish, the sauce is made from starch and we are using corn tortillas. If you want you can use flour tortillas instead. The meat and sauce are prepared on the stovetop but you could use the slow cooker instead if you would prefer. The beef is simmered in the sauce, shredded and rolled up in corn tortillas. The tortillas are placed into a baking dish, topped with sauce and cheese and baked to perfection. I like to serve these enchiladas with Mexican rice. Enjoy.
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ lbs boneless chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 yellow onions (finely chopped)
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- ½ cup of water
- 4 ounces shredded Monterey jack cheese (divided)
- 4 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese (divided)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped canned pickled jalapenos
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- In a small bowl mix together garlic, chili powder, cumin, coriander, sugar, and salt. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the meat with salt. Add the meat to the Dutch oven and cook until browned on both sides, about 6 to 8 minutes. Remove the meat to a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the onions to the pot and cook until they are golden brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic mixture and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tomato sauce and water and bring to a boil. Return the meat and any accumulated juices to the pot. Cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer until the meat is tender and can be pulled apart easily (about 1 ½ hour).
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Strain the beef mixture over a medium bowl. Transfer the meat and any other solids to a medium bowl and break the beef into small pieces. Mix the shredded beef with half of the shredded cheeses, cilantro, and jalapenos.
- Spread about a ¾ cup of the sauce in the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish. Microwave the tortillas according to package directions to soften. Spread about 1/3 cup of the beef mixture down the center of each tortilla.
- Roll up tightly, and place seam-side down into the baking dish. Pour the remaining sauce evenly over the enchiladas. Sprinkle the remaining cheeses over the enchiladas. Cover the baking dish with foil.
- Place into the oven and bake for 25 minutes. After 25 minutes, remove the foil and continue to bake until the cheese browns slightly (5-10 minutes).