- Clean the sweet potatoes with a good scrub and, if preferred, peel them (you may also choose to leave the potato peels on). Cut up the scrubbed potatoes lengthwise in half. Cut each half into ¼-inch-wide strips lengthwise (using a mandoline is recommended to produce even fries, but watch your fingers when using one).
- Cut the strips into ¼-inch sticks by turning them on their sides. If you think the potato sticks are too long, cut them in half horizontally to make 3 to 4-inch long fries. Place the fries in a large mixing basin when you’re done cutting them.
- Adjust your oven to 200 degrees F and let it preheat. Also, keep a baking sheet nearby to keep cooked fries warm between batches.
- Also, heat your air fryer to 375 degrees F, as directed by the manufacturer (the time to achieve this will depend on the model of air fryer you’re using, so you should consult the user manual).
To cook in fewer batches (the results will be somewhat crispy):
- Arrange the potato sticks in the air fryer’s basket, no more than two layers at a time (with a 5½-quart air fryer, you’ll only be able to fit about ⅓ of the fries). Make sure there’s enough space between the fries for air to circulate. Cook the potato sticks in the air fryer for 5 minutes at the preheated temperature.
- Toss the basket with tongs after sliding it out. Return the basket to the air fryer and cook the fries for another 5 to 7 minutes, or until the edges are golden and crispy. Depending on the model of air fryer you’re using and the preferred doneness level, the cooking time in the air fryer may differ by several minutes. Check the fries frequently within the last few minutes to ensure they don’t burn.
To cook in more batches (the results will be super crispy):
- Arrange the sweet potatoes inside the air fryer’s basket in a single layer, ensuring they don’t overlap. Cook them for 4 minutes, remove the basket and flip the fries. Cook for another 4 to 8 minutes, or until the fries become as crispy as you like them (just like before, the cooking time will vary depending on the air fryer model, as such, it’s advised that you check on your fries a couple of times and adjust the cooking time as needed).
- Transfer the fries to a serving platter or baking sheet, then season with a bit of kosher salt. Rep the process with the rest of the fries, keeping the cooked ones warm in the preheated oven as needed between batches. Enjoy with chives on top!
This recipe for sweet potato fries in the air fryer yields delicious results, and as you can see from the recipe, you can cook in the method you prefer to achieve the crispness you prefer in your results. Feel free to enjoy this recipe as you please with your loved ones.
If you’d like more ideas for air fryer sweet potato fries, we recommend checking out this video recipe.