One of the most popular recipes to cook in the air fryer is sweet potato fries, and if it’s one you haven’t already tried, you’re missing out on a lot. Sweet potatoes get even sweeter, and you’ll enjoy the delicious crispness that cooking them in the air fryer will provide. The results can be used as a delicious snack or a side to a wide range of delicious recipes when cooked this way.
If you’ve not tried making sweet potato fries in the air fryer, we want to assume it’s because you’re not familiar with the cooking process. This article will provide you with some helpful tips and guidelines to help you arrive at the best possible results.
Sweet Potato Nutrition Facts
Tips for Making Sweet Potato Fries in Air Fryer
The following tips are ideal for keeping in mind when cooking sweet potato fries in the air fryer, so pay close attention:
Cut into even-sized pieces – When preparing sweet potatoes for cooking, cut them up into similar-sized sizes to guarantee that all of the pieces cook at the same rate and time. To cut the potato halves equally, try using a very sharp knife; also, put them flat on a cutting table. No piece will get overcooked or undercooked when the sweet potatoes are cut.
Always preheat your air fryer – While it may not be required to preheat all models of air fryers, most of them need this step to produce the best results. Even if your air fryer doesn’t call for it, preheating is generally believed to be essential for the cooking to happen accurately at the temperature you choose.
Never overcrowd the air fryer basket – Granted, the urge to toss in all of the potato pieces at once into the air fryer basket can be really strong. However, if you give in to the urge to overcrowd the basket and the sweet potato fries touch each other too much or overlap within the basket, you may end up with steamed rather than crispy fried sweet potato fries.
Flip the potatoes – To turn the sweet potatoes, try tongs or shake the air fryer’s basket. Air will typically circulate the potatoes, but the heat coming from the air fryer’s bottom is more intense than the one at the top, so it’s vital to flip the potatoes halfway through the cooking process.
View this post on Instagram
Cooking Time for Sweet Potato Fries in Air Fryer
The ideal cooking time for sweet potato fries in the air fryer has been described in the table below:
Cooking sweet potato fries in a single layer at 375 degrees Fahrenheit
8 to 10 minutes
Cooking sweet potato fries in two layers at 375 degrees Fahrenheit
10 to 12 minutesPrint
- Clean the sweet potatoes with a good scrub and, if preferred, peel them (you may also choose to leave the potato peels on). Cut up the scrubbed potatoes lengthwise in half. Cut each half into ¼-inch-wide strips lengthwise (using a mandoline is recommended to produce even fries, but watch your fingers when using one).
- Cut the strips into ¼-inch sticks by turning them on their sides. If you think the potato sticks are too long, cut them in half horizontally to make 3 to 4-inch long fries. Place the fries in a large mixing basin when you’re done cutting them.
- Adjust your oven to 200 degrees F and let it preheat. Also, keep a baking sheet nearby to keep cooked fries warm between batches.
- Also, heat your air fryer to 375 degrees F, as directed by the manufacturer (the time to achieve this will depend on the model of air fryer you’re using, so you should consult the user manual).
To cook in fewer batches (the results will be somewhat crispy):
- Arrange the potato sticks in the air fryer’s basket, no more than two layers at a time (with a 5½-quart air fryer, you’ll only be able to fit about ⅓ of the fries). Make sure there’s enough space between the fries for air to circulate. Cook the potato sticks in the air fryer for 5 minutes at the preheated temperature.
- Toss the basket with tongs after sliding it out. Return the basket to the air fryer and cook the fries for another 5 to 7 minutes, or until the edges are golden and crispy. Depending on the model of air fryer you’re using and the preferred doneness level, the cooking time in the air fryer may differ by several minutes. Check the fries frequently within the last few minutes to ensure they don’t burn.
To cook in more batches (the results will be super crispy):
- Arrange the sweet potatoes inside the air fryer’s basket in a single layer, ensuring they don’t overlap. Cook them for 4 minutes, remove the basket and flip the fries. Cook for another 4 to 8 minutes, or until the fries become as crispy as you like them (just like before, the cooking time will vary depending on the air fryer model, as such, it’s advised that you check on your fries a couple of times and adjust the cooking time as needed).
- Transfer the fries to a serving platter or baking sheet, then season with a bit of kosher salt. Rep the process with the rest of the fries, keeping the cooked ones warm in the preheated oven as needed between batches. Enjoy with chives on top!
This recipe for sweet potato fries in the air fryer yields delicious results, and as you can see from the recipe, you can cook in the method you prefer to achieve the crispness you prefer in your results. Feel free to enjoy this recipe as you please with your loved ones.
If you’d like more ideas for air fryer sweet potato fries, we recommend checking out this video recipe.