Everyone typically has a different answer when asked what their “go-to vegetable” is. For some, the answer is peas; others prefer carrots, or maybe even broccoli, but among many others, potatoes are often the first choice, and for a good reason too.
Typically, potatoes exist in different varieties, all delicious when cooked in the right manner, and white sweet potatoes are no exception! This article will teach you how to cook white sweet potatoes for the best-tasting results. Remember to take note of the tips and guidelines to guide you to excellent results.
White Sweet Potatoes Nutrition Facts
Tips for Cooking White Sweet Potatoes
The following tips and guidelines have been outlined to help you through the cooking process for white sweet potatoes, as well as to guarantee great-tasting results:
What are white sweet potatoes? – White sweet potatoes can correctly be thought of as a cross between two breeds of potatoes. They have a similar shape to a sweet potato, but on the inside, they resemble russet potatoes.
Sweet white potatoes are much unlike the typical sweet potato, which tends to have a dark brown shell and an orange interior. Although their shape is similar to that of sweet potato, their skin is lighter, more like a russet potato.
When you cut into white sweet potatoes, you’ll see that the flesh is light-colored, almost white. The texture of white sweet potatoes, on the other hand, is practically identical to that of a conventional sweet potato. Some people find it a little dry and crumbly, but it’s on the same path as the orange sweet potato variety.
The kind of taste to expect – Conventional sweet potatoes tend to possess a deep earthy and sweet flavor that most people dislike. As a result, sweet white potatoes are ideal for many people because their flavor profile falls midway between russet potatoes and sweet potatoes.
White sweet potatoes have a milder flavor than russet potatoes, despite being less starchy. As a result, they make for a great addition to both savory and sweet recipes. If you find the sweet quality of orange sweet potatoes to be too much for you, white sweet potatoes are definitely the way to go!
View this post on Instagram
Different cooking methods to choose from – There are a plethora of ways to prepare white sweet potatoes because they can be used in both sweet and savory recipes. In fact, you may prepare them in the same way you would sweet or russet potatoes. You can do whatever with them since they’re “potatoes,” and they’ll taste fantastic. White sweet potatoes can be prepared in one of the following ways:
- Oven roasting: White sweet potatoes can be roasted in the oven. To do this, simply cut them into wedges, toss them in your preferred oil and seasonings, then roast them along with the rest of your vegetables.
- Baking: Baked potatoes are a tasty and easy side dish. One great way to work with white sweet potatoes is to wrap them in aluminum foil and bake them. After that, they can be seasoned with salt and pepper and enjoyed as a wonderful and easy meal!
- Mashed variety: Mashed potatoes are a popular favorite, any time, any day. White sweet potatoes have a particularly velvety texture that makes them ideal for mashed potato recipes. Another reason to cook them this way is that they are moderately sweet and thus work well in such recipes.
- Boiling: You can also choose to boil white sweet potatoes to enjoy their unique mild flavor and nutrition when you don’t feel like doing elaborate cooking. Cooked in this manner, white sweet potatoes also make an excellent alternative for baby food.
- Air frying: If French fries are all that come to mind when you think about potatoes, then you may want to try white sweet potatoes for your fries. Treat them the same way you would any other potato when making French fries. To avoid excess oil and fat in your meal, you can air fry them. They have a somewhat sweet flavor and are quite tasty. They’re great for both children and adults, and you can serve them with your favorite vegan dips and sauces.
Cooking Time for White Sweet Potatoes
The ideal cooking time for white sweet potatoes is depicted in the table below:
|Cooking procedure||Cooking time|
|Cooking white sweet potatoes in the oven initially at 350 F||25 to 30 minutes|
|Final cooking in the oven at 425 F||30 minutes|
- Place washed and dried whole white sweet potatoes in a baking tray with enough water to cover the tray’s surface.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and bake the contents of the baking tray for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the white sweet potatoes develop a tender quality. Check for softness on the outside of the potatoes. It’s best if they’re half-cooked.
- Take the potatoes out of the oven halfway through cooking and set them aside to cool.
- In a large mixing dish, divide the white sweet potatoes into wedges.
- Pour the olive oil, crushed garlic, and fresh rosemary sprigs into a frying pan.
- Set the frying pan to a low heat setting.
- Take the pan off the heat source once the oil has turned aromatic.
- Find a small bowl and pour the oil into it, set this aside to cool.
- When the potato wedges are cold enough to handle, combine two tablespoons of rosemary oil with the garlic, rosemary sprigs, and one teaspoon of pink Himalayan salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Brush the baking tray with the garlic-rosemary oil mixture to grease it.
- Place the potato wedges skin-side down on the baking tray.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and bake the contents of the baking tray for 30 minutes, or until the potatoes begin to become golden brown in color.
- Serve immediately after removing the tray from the oven.
For more recipe ideas on how to cook white sweet potatoes, you should check out this video recipe.
This recipe for oven-roasted white sweet potatoes delivers extremely tender and delicious results, and we’re sure you’ll crave it again after your first trial. The entire cooking time for the recipe is 1 hour, so it’s a pretty quick and easy meal option.