I love making roasted whole chicken in the oven for dinner. Roasted chicken is great when you add the flavors of butter, garlic and lemon to it. In this recipe the chicken is coated with butter, olive oil, parsley and garlic and then a little bit of lemon juice and white wine is added for even more flavor. The chicken is then stuffed with ingredients such as whole lemons, garlic and rosemary. You can serve this recipe with side dishes such as mashed potatoes or flavored rice and a salad. Enjoy.
- 1 (4 pounds) whole chicken, giblets and neck removed from the cavity
- ¼ cup unsalted butter (melted)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup white wine (can leave out if you want)
- 1 lemon (halved)
- Salt and ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 head of garlic (peeled and cut in half horizontally through the middle)
- 3 fresh whole sprigs of rosemary
- Preheat the oven to 430 degrees F. Line a baking tray with aluminum foil or lightly grease a roasting pan.
- Place the chicken breast side up into the roasting pan. Pour the olive oil, melted butter, wine, and the juice of half a lemon over the chicken, under the skin, and inside the cavity. Season the chicken all over with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with parsley. Rub the minced garlic all over the chicken and under the skin.
- Stuff the garlic head into the chicken cavity along with the rosemary sprigs and the squeezed lemon halves. Place into oven and bake for 1 hour and 15 to 20 minutes or until the juices run clear the chicken is fully cooked (the internal temperature has reached 165 degrees F.), basting halfway through the cooking time.
- Remove from the oven, cover with foil and let stand 10 minutes before serving.