I always enjoy a good spaghetti recipe and this Million Dollar Spaghetti is great. This spaghetti is baked in the oven in a casserole dish. Noodles are topped with butter and a cream cheese mixture, spaghetti sauce, and cheese. For the spaghetti sauce, I have included a simple sauce recipe but you could also use your favorite homemade sauce or store bought sauce. You can substitute the ground beef with Italian sausage if you would prefer. You can also replace the cheddar cheese with mozzarella or an Italian cheese blend might be good on this casserole. I like to serve this recipe with garlic bread. Enjoy.
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- ½ cup butter
- 1 (16 oz) package spaghetti
- 8 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- Spaghetti sauce-
- 1lb ground beef
- ¼ cup grated onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 (28 ounces) can crushed tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil (chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- To prepare the sauce—in a large skillet brown the ground beef over medium-high heat while breaking the meat up into chunks with a spatula. Drain off any excess grease.
- Add in the grated onion and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Add oregano and salt. Cook while stirring for 3 minutes until the onions begin to brown.
- Add garlic. Cook 30 seconds. Add crushed tomatoes, butter, and sugar.
- Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the olive oil and basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, cook the noodles according to package directions until al dente. Drain and set aside. In a medium bowl combine the cream cheese, sour cream, and cottage cheese until well blended.
- Put about 4 thin slices of butter onto the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Place half of the spaghetti noodles on top of the butter slices.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly over the top of the noodles. Place the remaining half of the noodles over the cream cheese mixture and top with 4 more thin slices of butter.
- Place the spaghetti sauce over the top of the noodles and butter.
- Place into the oven and bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove the casserole from the oven and spread a layer of the cheddar cheese evenly on top.
- Return to the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese has melted.