An excellent choice in preparing food for Lent is a tuna grilled cheese sandwich. This grilled cheese is so easy to prepare and consists of very few ingredients. In this recipe, canned tuna is mixed with mayonnaise, green onion, and lemon juice. You can experiment with different types of pieces of bread and cheeses for this recipe if you wish. Some good options for bread would be wheat, multigrain or pumpernickel. The cheddar cheese can easily be replaced with Swiss or American. The ingredients are only enough to make one sandwich, but you can easily double or triple them to make more servings. I like to serve this tuna grilled cheese with French fries. Enjoy.
- 1 (3 ounces) can white tuna in water (drained, flaked)
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onions
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- 1 slice cheddar cheese
- butter (for spreading)
- In a medium bowl combine tuna, mayonnaise, and green onions. Mix until well combined.
- Spread the tuna fish mixture onto the top of a slice of bread.
- Top with a slice of cheese. Place the other slice onto the sandwich and spread a layer of butter on top.
- Heat a griddle or skillet to medium-high heat. Add the sandwich butter-side down and cook until golden brown on the bottom (about 3 minutes).
- Spread another thin layer of butter onto the top of the top slice of bread. Flip the sandwich over and cook until golden brown on the other side.