The muddling of orange and cherry came only in the 50s post-prohibition in the late 20th century. There is a lot of changes in the taste. I don’t say it’s a bad one, but the authenticity of the drink is altered.
I like it the authentic way. It is good to use rye whiskey than bourbon because bourbon is more on the sweeter side. This recipe is almost 76 years old.
You generally serve them in an old fashioned glass on the rocks (poured over ice). Come on, let’s get our head into the recipe.
It just takes a few minutes to make this cocktail and requires just a hand full of ingredients and is to be served immediately.Print
- Rye whiskey – 2 ounces
- Simple syrup – a bar spoon full (you can use sugar cube)
- Angostura bitters – 2 dashes
- Orange bitters – 2 dashes
- Lemon peel – 1 freshly peeled
- Orange peel – 1 freshly peeled
- Ice cubes – as required (a big giant piece of ice)
- In a mixing glass add two ounces of rye whiskey along with a bar spoon full of simple syrup, two dashes of angostura bitter and orange bitter.
- Now add in few ice cubes and stir it the way it is. Now take a frozen old fashioned glass with a giant piece of an ice cube.
- Strain the cocktail mix into the old fashioned glass. Let’s garnish it with some lemon and orange peel.
- Take the peels and gently squeeze the oils over the glass and also over the mouth of the glass.
- Garnish the cocktail with orange and lemon peel and serve it on the rocks.
- And there you go with this fantastic classic old fashioned cocktail. You can also muddle sugar cube instead of simple syrup, but I prefer the second one because it mixes well and does its work perfectly.
- Remember orange bitters make the best old fashioned you can make them without it but that won’t be a great one.
- Do not use small ice cubes because they melt quickly and really dilute the drink. This classic one is to be served on the rocks as its all spirits and we are going to sip the drink it is really a stiff one.
- Rye whiskey goes perfect with old fashioned than bourbon or other brandy. The muddling of fruits like cherry and orange is not my way of making the old fashioned the taste differs a lot.
- Try this classic old fashioned cocktail as it is in an authentic way and I bet you, this is just perfect and you will never want to try anything else from then.