Pizza – a name that raises the taste buds. But do you know that the popular pizza has ancient roots too? It is assumed that pizza is a creation by Italian. In centuries ago, people use to eat the flatbread with toppings on the go and never required a plate as they felt the base flatbread as a plate.
Pizza became famous in America after World War II when the hungry soldiers of European fronts succeeded to inspire the US population into accepting Italian dish.
If you are in a mood to eat pizza, then you can easily prepare pizza dough at home. The pizza dough recipe is very simple to make with readily available ingredients and you can save on extra penny as well by making the pizza at home.
Few people like thick base and few like thin crusts, this homemade pizza dough recipe can be molded according to your desire to eat pizza.
Let’s get started with the pizza dough recipe.
- 3/4 cup warm water (about 100*F)
- 2 tbsp. crushed sugar
- 1 tsp. active dry yeast
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups all-purpose or plain flour
- Oil for greasing
- Take a large bowl and put 2 tbsp. of crushed sugar.
- Add ¾ cup of warm water and swirl the bowl so that the sugar gets mixed up.
- Add 1 of active dry yeast and keep it for few minutes and let it re-hydrate.
- Make sure not to use hot water, or else it will kill the yeast.
- Add 1 of salt and 1 tbsp. of olive oil in the bowl.
- Now add all-purpose flour or plain flour to the mixture.
- Mix it all till it will not become firm dough. You can either use your hand or kitchen made machine to make the dough.
- After the dough is made, cover it with some olive oil and keep it to rest for 1.5 hours with a damp towel on top.
- Post 1.5 hours you will see that the dough has risen. Punch the dough nicely with your fist.
- Take out the pizza plate and cover it with olive oil. Place the dough in the plate and pat the dough using your finger into 12- inch circle or to the edge of your pizza plate.
- Poke the dough with a fork so that it doesn’t become puffy.
- Your pizza dough is ready and you can use any toppings with some pizza sauce and bake it.