What I like the most about sloppy Joes is how easy they are to prepare. If I am looking for a quick and easy dinner, they are always a great option. These pizza sloppy Joes are no different; they taste great and are easy to prepare for dinner. These sloppy Joes make great use of pizza ingredients such as hamburger, pepperoni, pizza sauce and cheese. You can add more of your favorite pizza ingredients if you choose—sliced mushrooms would be a good option. This recipe can either be cooked on the stove top or in the slow cooker. However, if you choose the slow cooker, the ground beef will still have to be browned first. I prepared this on the stove top because it is the quickest method. This recipe will make about 18 sandwiches, so if you want less, you can cut the recipe in half. If you are looking for something different than normal sloppy Joes, give this one a try. Enjoy.
(Makes 18 Sandwiches)Print
- 2lbs ground beef
- 2 medium onions (chopped)
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 (14 ounces) jars pizza sauce
- 3 ounces sliced pepperoni
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 18 sandwich buns
- In a large deep skillet over medium high heat brown ground beef and onion. Drain off any excess liquid. Add bell pepper, basil, oregano, pepperoni, and pizza sauce. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Spoon the mixture onto the buns and sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese. If you want the cheese to melt better, you can microwave the sandwiches for a few seconds.
- These can also be cooked in the slow cooker. Just follow step one by browning the ground beef in and onion in a pan. Then drain the mixture of any excess fat and then pour it into a lightly greased slow cooker. Add the rest of the ingredients (except for the buns), cover, and cook on low for 4-5 hours.