If you are looking for a delicious shrimp taco recipe for Lent, look no further. These shrimp tacos are delicious and loaded with seasoned shrimp, cilantro-lime slaw, and queso fresco cheese. The shrimp are cooked in the pan with various seasonings such as chili powder, cumin, salt, and cayenne pepper. A fresh squeeze of lime juice really adds a little flavor to the tacos as well. The best part about this recipe is the slaw. The cilantro-lime slaw gets a lot of its flavor from garlic, cilantro, lime juice, and sour cream. I like to use corn tortillas for these tacos but you could use flour tortillas as well. I like queso fresco but you could use many different types of cheese for this recipe such as cojita, Monterey Jack or a Mexican cheese blend. Enjoy.
- Cilantro-Lime Sauce-
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup of water
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- ½ cup cilantro leaves
- 2–3 garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- juice of 2 limes
- ½ cup sour cream
- Shrimp Tacos-
- 1lb medium shrimp (peeled and deveined, tails removed)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2–3 cups shredded green cabbage
- 8 small corn tortillas
- queso fresco cheese (crumbled)
- 1–2 avocados (peeled, pitted and mashed)
- lime wedges (for serving)
- In a food processor or blender add olive oil, water, green onions, cilantro, garlic, salt and lime juice. Pulse until mostly smooth. Add in sour cream and pulse until combined.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Pat the shrimp dry with paper towels and sprinkle with the spices. Add the shrimp to the hot pan and sauté for 5-8 minutes, flipping occasionally until the shrimp are cooked through.
- Toss some of the sauce with the cabbage until it is coated to your liking. The final product should resemble coleslaw. Use the remaining dressing to go on top of the tacos.
- Warm the corn tortillas according to package directions. Spread a spoonful of the avocados on the tortillas, top with a few pieces of shrimp, some coleslaw, and cheese. Serve with lime wedges.