Here is a great recipe for slow cooker Mexican chicken. This chicken can be used as meat for tacos or burritos. What is great about this recipe is that all of the ingredients are simply added to the slow cooker, the chicken is cooked until done and then shredded and it is ready to be used. The chicken gets a lot of flavor from salsa, chili powder, cumin and chipotle chili pepper. Brown sugar and liquid smoke are added for even more flavor. I like to toss in some fresh cilantro at the end. If you would like to add a little more spice to your chicken, you can use medium salsa instead of mild or add more chipotle chili pepper. Enjoy.
- 2lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup mild salsa
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 (4 ounces) can mild green chilies
- 1 (14.5 ounces) can diced tomatoes (drained)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground chipotle chili pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- hot sauce (to taste)
- Rub the chicken breasts on both sides with olive oil and place into the bottom of a slow cooker. Add all of the remaining ingredients except for the hot sauce. Cook on high for 2-4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours or until the chicken is tender enough to shred.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board and let it rest for 5 minutes before shredding, leave the liquid in the crockpot. Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker and cook on low for an additional 20 minutes to absorb some of the liquid. Drain the excess liquid. Taste and add hot sauce if you prefer.