Sloppy Joes are an American classic and favorite. The great taste of that sweet tomato sauce with the hamburger and vegetables is just too good to pass up. Sloppy Joes make a quick and easy meal if you are in a rush. Many of you may have made your own before or used a canned sauce. This is so much better than a canned sauce. This recipe might be a little different because of the addition of mushrooms. If you do not want mushrooms in your Sloppy Joes, feel free to leave them out. I also topped mine with sliced provolone, which is totally optional as well. These are great for parties or game day. Enjoy.
- 1lb ground beef
- 2 stalks celery (finely chopped)
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 green bell pepper (seeded and chopped)
- 1 (8 ounces) can tomato sauce
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup barbeque sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Sliced provolone cheese
- Hamburger Buns
- In a large skillet over medium high heat brown ground beef, celery, green pepper, mushrooms, and onion. Drain any excess fat. Stir in tomato sauce, ketchup, barbeque sauce, brown sugar, dry mustard, salt and pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and vinegar.
- Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally. If after 20 minutes the mixture still seems too watery, simmer for a little longer until the mixture has thickened.
- Serve on a bun and top with a slice of provolone cheese.