- White BBQ Sauce-
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- Sauerkraut mixture-
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 small onion (sliced)
- 1 (14-ounce) can sauerkraut, drained and squeezed dry
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 3 14-ounce packages smoked sausage (or Polish Kielbasa)
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 8 bratwurst or hot dog buns
- In a medium bowl combine mayonnaise, vinegar, salt, pepper, mustard, sugar, garlic, and horseradish. Mix until well blended. Place into the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté for about 4 minutes or until soft. Add an additional tablespoon of oil and add the drained sauerkraut to the skillet. Sauté for about 3 minutes or until the sauerkraut starts to brown. Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- Slice the smoked sausage into 3 pieces and cut in half lengthwise. Lightly grease the grill grates and heat the outdoor grill to medium-high heat. Add the smoked sausage and grill for about 3 minutes per side or until nicely marked.
- Place a slice of swiss cheese onto each roll, add 2 grilled clouds of smoke sausage halves, top with some of the onion and sauerkraut mixture, and some white bbq sauce.