These smoked sausage rolls are another great recipe to prepare on the grill. These rolls consist of grilled smoked sausage or kielbasa, white bbq sauce, a fried sauerkraut and onion mixture, and Swiss cheese. The combination of flavors on these rolls is absolutely delicious. The white bbq sauce gets a lot of flavor from mustard, horseradish, and vinegar. If you don’t have an outdoor grill, these could also be prepared on the stovetop in a frying pan or using an indoor grill pan. If you want you can toast the hot dogs until on the grill. You can serve these smoked sausage rolls with French fries on the side. Enjoy.
Smoked Sausage Rolls Recipe
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 Servings 1x
- White BBQ Sauce-
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- Sauerkraut mixture-
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 small onion (sliced)
- 1 (14-ounce) can sauerkraut, drained and squeezed dry
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 3 14-ounce packages smoked sausage (or Polish Kielbasa)
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 8 bratwurst or hot dog buns
- In a medium bowl combine mayonnaise, vinegar, salt, pepper, mustard, sugar, garlic, and horseradish. Mix until well blended. Place into the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté for about 4 minutes or until soft. Add an additional tablespoon of oil and add the drained sauerkraut to the skillet. Sauté for about 3 minutes or until the sauerkraut starts to brown. Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- Slice the smoked sausage into 3 pieces and cut in half lengthwise. Lightly grease the grill grates and heat the outdoor grill to medium-high heat. Add the smoked sausage and grill for about 3 minutes per side or until nicely marked.
- Place a slice of swiss cheese onto each roll, add 2 grilled clouds of smoke sausage halves, top with some of the onion and sauerkraut mixture, and some white bbq sauce.