Sour cream noodle bake is a simple and delicious casserole to prepare for dinner. This casserole consists of egg noodles layered with a meat sauce, cheese, and sour cream and cottage cheese mixture. The green onions that are mixed in really add a nice flavor to this already delicious casserole. The recipe calls for a ½ cup of green onions, but you could use less if you would prefer. If you are looking to feed a lot of people the ingredients can easily be doubled to make a large batch. Serve with garlic bread. Adapted from The Pioneer Woman.
(Makes 8 Servings)Print
- 1 1/4lb ground chuck
- 1 (15 ounces) can tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces egg noodles
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 ¼ cup small curd cottage cheese
- ½ cup sliced green onions
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef breaking it up into chunks with a spatula. Drain any fat. Stir in the tomato sauce, ½ teaspoon salt, and ground black pepper to taste. Simmer while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Cook the egg noodles according to package directions, until al dente. Drain and set aside. In a medium bowl combine sour cream and cottage cheese. Season with ground black pepper to taste. Mix the sour cream and cottage cheese mixture with the egg noodles. Add the green onions and stir.
- To make the casserole—lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking dish. Add half the egg noodles to the bottom of the dish. Top with half of the meat mixture, and sprinkle with half of the shredded cheddar cheese. Repeat this process with the noodles, meat and then a final layer of cheese on top. Place into the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese has melted.