Using canned pork and beans is an easy way to prepare delicious baked beans in no time at all. This southern baked beans recipe is perfect if you are in need of a side dish and are short on time. The bacon and onions are first sautéed in a frying pan and then mixed together with the beans and seasoned and baked in the oven. These southern baked beans get a lot of their flavor from maple syrup and yellow mustard. I like to serve these beans with fried fish or any type of grilled meat. Enjoy.
(Makes 4 Servings)
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 2 (16 ounces) can pork and beans
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2lb bacon strips (cut into ½ inch pieces)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat. Add the bacon pieces and fry until crispy. Drain on paper towels. Add the onions to the same pan with the bacon grease and sauté onion until brown.
- Mix the bacon, onions, and bacon drippings with the pork and beans, mustard, maple syrup, brown sugar, ketchup, and lemon juice. Pour into a greased casserole dish and cover. Bake covered at 350 degrees for 45 to 60 minutes.