Spicy baked beans are always great to bring to a cookout. This recipe makes a spicy and delicious side dish for any night of the week. I also like to serve these baked beans with fried fish. If you are looking to make baked beans from scratch, this is not the way. What this recipe does is it uses a can of baked beans with pork and adds ingredients such as onion, bell pepper, pork sausage links, and various seasonings. Using canned beans saves times and allows you to create a delicious side dish with little work. If you cannot find spicy pork sausage links, regular ones will work as well. If you want to kick up the heat a little bit, a dash of cayenne pepper would be a good option. This recipe is also a great idea for a dish to prepare for football season. Enjoy.
- 1 (28 ounces) can baked beans with pork
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1 medium green bell pepper (diced)
- 4 links spicy pork sausage (cut into chunks)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tablespoons vinegar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt (to taste)
- 1 dash cayenne pepper (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a Dutch oven or casserole dish that can be covered with an oven-safe lid, combine baked beans, onion, green bell pepper, and sausage links. Season with chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, ketchup, garlic powder, and salt. Add cayenne pepper if desired. Mix well.
- Cover and place into the oven and bake for one hour at 350 degrees.