- 2lbs tilapia, cod, halibut or any other white fish (cut into 1” chunks)
- 1 large green pepper (cut into 1” chunks)
- 1 large tomato (cut into 1” chunks)
- 1 large onion (cut into 1” chunks)
- 1 can pineapple chunks (with juice)
- Oil (for deep frying)
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 cups flour
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 cups of water
- Sweet and Sour Sauce-
- ½ cup vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- A ¼ cup of orange juice
- ¼ cup pineapple juice
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Toss fish with cornstarch in a bowl and coat well. In another bowl whisk together flour, 6 tablespoons of oil, baking powder, seasoning salt, and cayenne pepper.
- A little at a time, add 2 cups of water whisking until the batter has become smooth.
- Pour batter over the coated fish pieces and stir to coat.
In a deep frying fry fish pieces in batches for 4 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and keep warm in the oven.
- In a wok heat a tiny bit of oil. Stir fry green pepper and onions for 3 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- To make a sweet and sour sauce – In the wok mix vinegar, sugar, salt, orange juice, pineapple juice, and ketchup.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Mix 2 tablespoons of cornstarch in 1/8 cup of juice, pour into the sauce and stir until sauce has thickened.
- Add tomatoes and pineapple chunks to the sauce and heat.
- In a large serving dish mix fish pieces, sauce and green pepper and onions. Serve with white rice.