Shanghai Wings Recipe
Here is a recipe for the Shanghai wings with wasabi ranch dressing just like at Chili’s restaurant. If you have never had this appetizer at Chili’s, it is basically breaded fried chicken coated with a ginger-citrus sauce and then served with a wasabi ranch dressing. These wings have an Asian flavor to them. The sauce gets a lot of its flavor from fresh ginger, soy sauce, lemon juice and lime juice. If you want to save some time buy breaded boneless wings from the store and coat them with the sauce. For the Wasabi-ranch dressing, the green food coloring is optional. This is another great recipe for the Super Bowl. Enjoy.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into small chunks)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 4 cups vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup Ranch dressing
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered wasabi
- 1 drop green food coloring (optional)
- In a medium bowl combine flour, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper and paprika. In another small bowl whisk together the egg and 1 cup of milk. Dip each chicken piece first into the egg mixture and then into the flour mixture. Repeat this process to that each chicken piece is double coated. Repeat until all of the chicken pieces are coated.
- To prepare the Wasabi-ranch dressing. In a small bowl whisk together ranch dressing, buttermilk, horseradish, powdered wasabi, and green food coloring. Cover and chill until the wings are done.
- To prepare the sauce-- Combine the cornstarch with 1 ¼ cups of cold water. Mix until dissolved. Pour the mixture into a medium saucepan. Add brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, lime juice, lemon juice and crushed red pepper flakes. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat. When the sauce begins to bubble reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until thicken. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer to 375 degrees F. Cook the chicken pieces in batches for 5-6 minutes or until browned and fully cooked (the internal temperature has reached 165 degrees F.). Drain on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Place chicken pieces into a large bowl and mix with the sauce. Serve with the prepared Wasabi-ranch dressing.