Barbacoa is spicy shredded Mexican beef that goes great in tacos. This recipe uses the slow cooker to make things super simple and quick. A beef roast is cut into chunks and then placed into the slow cooker with numerous ingredients. A lot of the spice in this recipe comes from chipotle in adobo sauce. If you want to up the heat, just add even more chipotle in adobo. Additionally, a lot of flavor comes from lime juice and cider vinegar. I like to serve this shredded beef on tacos with guacamole and cheese. Enjoy.
- 3lb chuck roast (cut into 3 inch chunks)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 chipotles in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 white onion (chopped)
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ cup beef broth
- Combine all of the ingredients in the slow cooker. Toss to combine. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until the beef falls apart easily.
- Remove the beef pieces from the slow cooker and shred using two forks. Return the beef to the slow cooker and mix with the juices. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Serve on warmed flour or corn tortillas with your favorite condiments.