These BBQ crunch dogs are basted with homemade BBQ sauce, and loaded with romaine lettuce and crushed chips. This is a great recipe for summer grilling. The best part of these hot dogs is the homemade BBQ sauce which is a simple combination of just a few ingredients that you probably already have on hand. The sauce gets a lot of its flavor from ketchup and honey. The sauce can also be prepared in advance, cooled and refrigerated until needed. For the chips, you can use whatever type of chips you would prefer, I used kettle cooked BBQ chips. The romaine lettuce can be replaced with cabbage if you choose. Enjoy.
- 1 cup ketchup
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 all-beef hot dogs
- 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce (or cabbage)
- 8 hot dog buns
- 1 bag BBQ flavored potato chips
- To prepare the BBQ sauce- in a medium saucepan combine the ketchup, vinegar, honey, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, and garlic powder.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring often.
- Lightly grease the grates of an outdoor grill. Heat the grill to medium-high heat. Add the hot dogs and cook whiling turning and basting with the BBQ sauce frequently.
- Cook the hot dogs until they are heated through.
- Add some of the romaine lettuce onto the bottom of each bun. Top with a cooked hot dog. Top with crushed BBQ chips.