If you enjoy cheeseburgers, this casserole is a dish that you will definitely want to try. This casserole uses cheeseburger ingredients such as ground beef, onion, tomatoes, mustard, pickles, and cheddar cheese. What I really like about this recipe is the combination of flavors, I really feel that the dill pickles topped this dish off nicely. You could make this casserole even better by adding some additional cheeseburger ingredients such as bacon and mushrooms. This casserole is very easy to prepare and makes a great dinner for any night of the week. Enjoy. Adapted from Skinnytaste.
(Makes 4 Servings)Print
- 6 ounces uncooked rotini pasta (about 2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 ½ cups onions (finely chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (finely chopped)
- 1lb lean ground beef
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounces) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup chopped dill pickles
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13” inch casserole dish with cooking spray. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente, drain.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook until soft (about 5 minutes). Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the ground beef and cook while breaking up into chunks with a spoon or spatula until browned. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in tomato paste, and then add the tomatoes and mustard. Let the mixture bubble gently until it is slightly thickened (about 2 minutes).
- Toss the meat mixture with the cooked pasta and spread it into the prepared baking dish. Top with cheddar cheese. Place the baking dish into the oven and bake until the cheese has melted (about 15 minutes). Remove from the oven, sprinkle the chopped dill pickles over the top and serve.