Limelon melons are small fruits with a uniform, round to oval shape. The name derives from the French word limaire, which means lily in French. They are about 8 to 10 cm in length. The colour of limelons is yellow with white underbelly. The taste of limelons is sweet and juicy with a crisp texture. The only difference from a cantaloupe melon is the shape. Limelons are more watery compared to a cantaloupe melon.
They are grown throughout Southeast Asia and Europe. They are also widely grown in India. They have an average lifespan of about 6 to 7 months.
How to make Asian Limelon Salad
- Asian Melon (Limelon, halved and seeded)
- Asian White Cucumber (optional)
- red chilli pepper
- I garlic clove
- 25g Japanese soy sauce
- 25g mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 2 tbsp palm sugar
- Juice of 1 lime
- 125g bean sprouts
- 20 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 200g soybeans, cooked
- bunch of coriander
- chopped 80g toasted coconut shavings or chips
- Finely chop the chilli pepper and garlic. If you like , grate some of the ginger.
- Mix the soy sauce, mirin, palm sugar and lime juice in a large bowl; stir in the chilli and garlic.
- Cut the Limelon into lcm by 3cm pieces.
- Rinse the bean sprouts with hot water.
- Place the Limelon, tomatoes, bean sprouts and soybeans in the bowl with the marinade, toss this together.
- Gently mix in the coriander.
- Toast the coconut in a dry frying pan, making sure that it does not burn.
- Divide the salad among 4 bowls; sprinkle with toasted coconut before serving.
- Makes 4 servings.
Tip: If you like it spicy, you can sprinkle some chilli flakes over the salad.