- Dry the lamb and score the fat with a tiny sharp knife tip, making shallow slashes all over.
- Using a mortar and pestle, pound garlic with sea salt to a paste (or mince and mash with a heavy knife), then toss in rosemary and pepper. Place the lamb in a roasting pan that has been lightly oiled, and rub the paste all over it. Allow 30 minutes for the lamb to reach room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Roast lamb for 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours in the middle of the oven, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted 2 inches into the thickest part of the flesh (do not touch bone) registers 130°F. Allow it to rest for 15 to 25 minutes on a cutting board (internal temperature should reach around 140°F for medium-rare).
- Deglaze pan with wine by boiling over moderately high heat for 1 minute, stirring and scraping away brown pieces. Salt and pepper the pan juices and serve with the lamb.
This leg of lamb recipe is a delectable one, sure to get your tastebuds craving more. If you need more ideas on properly cooking a leg of lamb for the best results, you should check out this video recipe.