- One whole chicken, four pounds, thawed
- One cup water
- Two tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Two teaspoons paprika
- Two teaspoons garlic powder
- One teaspoon onion powder
- One teaspoon dried thyme
- One teaspoon dried oregano
- One teaspoon salt
- Half teaspoon black pepper
- Half a lemon
- Fresh sprigs rosemary
- One onion quartered
- One celery stick, chunked
- Take the giblets out of the chicken, discard them, and blot any extra moisture off the skin. Next, mix the dry and powdered spices, and prop the chicken for seasoning. Smear half the olive oil on the chicken, followed by half the spice mix. Ensure that you also get inside the cavity and under the skin atop the breast.
- Pour the remaining olive oil into the instant pot and program it to SAUTE setting. Then, brown the chicken, breast side up, for five to seven minutes. Flip the bird afterward and brown the breast side for the same time.
- Turn off SAUTE setting and remove the whole chicken, then add the water and with the wooden spoon, scrape off any bits at the pot’s bottom. Place the trivet over the water in the pot and the browned chicken inside the trivet. Then, cover, seal the valve, and pressure cook on HIGH at six minutes per pound, amounting to 24 minutes of cooking time.
- After the pot is done, let it sit undisturbed for 15 minutes, so the pressure naturally releases. Then, unseal the valve, so the remaining steam is let out, unlock the lid and take the chicken out. Finally, confirm the internal temperature with a meat thermometer, and if it reads 165F, the chicken is ready.
You can also check this video for more suggestions.