If you have ever wondered how to make tomato soup it is actually very easy. This recipe uses tomato puree, tomato sauce and tomato paste for the base of the soup as well as whole milk and chicken broth. A lot of the flavor in this recipe comes from garlic and onion. A little bit of sugar is added for at ouch of sweetness. This soup is simple to prepare and I love eating it with a grilled cheese sandwich. Enjoy.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
- 1 28 oz. can tomato puree
- 1 28 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups whole milk
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook for 5 minutes while stirring. Add garlic and stir cooking for an additional minute.
- Add salt, pepper, oregano, and sugar. Stir and cook for 1 more minute. Stir in tomato paste.
- Pour in the tomato puree, tomato sauce, and chicken broth. Stir and cook for 15 minutes, partially covered with a lid.
- Once the soup has cooked, pour in the milk and blend using an immersion blender until smooth.