I am not really sure where the name Hummingbird cake comes from or why it is called that, but one thing is for sure, this cake is very good. This is an older recipe that has become very popular, and for good reason. This cake is very moist and uses a combination of pineapple, bananas and chopped pecans that go right into the cake batter. The cake is first baked and then topped with cream cheese frosting, which goes perfect with this cake. This is a triple layer cake for it will make a lot; just a small piece will be enough to fill you up. This cake got eaten very fast around here. If you are looking for a fantastic cake recipe to make for the Holidays, give this one a try. Enjoy.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs (beaten)
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (8 ounces) can crushed pineapple (with juice)
- 1 cup pecans (chopped)
- 2 cups bananas (chopped)
- ½ cup pecans (chopped)
- Cream cheese Frosting-
- 1 (8 ounces) package cream cheese (softened)
- ½ cup butter or margarine (softened)
- 1 (16 ounces) package powdered sugar (sifted)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl combine flour, baking soda, salt, sugar, and cinnamon. Add eggs and oil, stirring until the dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in vanilla, pineapple, 1 cup pecans, and bananas. Pour batter into 3 9” round baking pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in cake pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes remove from the cake pans and cool completely.
- To make cream cheese frosting- In a mixing bowl beat cream cheese and butter. A little at a time add powdered sugar until the mixture is smooth. Add vanilla extract. Frost cake with the frosting and top with ½ cup chopped pecans.