Italian sausage rigatoni is an easy meat and pasta dish to prepare for dinner. The recipe calls for ground Italian sausage but I like to cook the links with the casing on and then slice them and add them to the sauce. The sauce in this recipe gets a lot of flavor from red wine, garlic, tomatoes, and fresh basil. This recipe goes great with parmesan cheese on top and I like to serve it with garlic bread. Enjoy.
Italian Sausage Rigatoni Recipe
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 Servings 1x
- 1/2 lb rigatoni pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ lb Italian sausage
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- ¼ cup yellow onion (finely chopped)
- ¼ cup beef red wine (or beef broth)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped basil
- Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in the large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and onions and sauté for about 2 minutes. Add the Italian sausage and cook about 5 minutes breaking up into chunks with a spatula. Add wine. Add crushed tomatoes and tomato paste, mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat to low and simmer for at least 10 minutes.
- Mix the cooked pasta with the sauce. Sprinkle with parsley, basil, and parmesan cheese for serving.