Jack Daniel’s is a unique ingredient to add to macaroni and cheese. What really sets this recipe apart from other mac and cheese dishes is the bacon. The bacon is dipped in Jack Daniels, coated with a brown sugar and cayenne pepper mixture, and then baked in the oven until crispy. This recipe uses two different types of cheeses—cheddar and provolone. The mac and cheese get even more flavor from Jack Daniel’s when a tablespoon is added to the flour and butter mixture. The only baking that is done in this recipe is the bacon, and mac and cheese itself are fully prepared on the stovetop. This Jack Daniel’s mac and cheese recipe make a great dinner or side-dish for any night of the week. Enjoy. Adapted from White Lights on Wednesday.
(Makes 6 Servings)Print
- 10 slices bacon
- ½ cup Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whiskey
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1lb elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whiskey
- 2 cups of milk
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray. In a small saucepan bring a ½ cup of Jack Daniel’s to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until the whiskey has been reduced to about 2 tablespoons. Remove from heat. On a plate combine the brown sugar and cayenne pepper. Dip the bacon slices, 1 at a time, first into the Jack Daniel’s, and press each side into the brown sugar mixture to coat. Place onto the baking sheet.
- Place into the oven and bake at 400 degrees for 7 minutes, then flip and bake for 5 minutes (keep an eye on the bacon to make sure it doesn’t burn). Remove the bacon from the baking sheet onto a plate coated with non-stick cooking spray. Chop bacon and set aside.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add macaroni and cook until ad dente. Drain and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a medium deep saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the flour and whisk to combine. Add 1 tablespoon of Jack Daniel’s and whisk into the mixture.
- Whisk in 1 cup of milk until combined. Add the remaining milk and whisk frequently until the sauce thickens and begins to bubble. Add cheddar and provolone cheese and whisk until the cheeses melt and the sauce is smooth. Add paprika and salt and pepper to taste. Pour the sauce over the pasta, mix well, and stir in chopped bacon.