This is a copycat recipe for the grilled onion cheddar burger from McDonald’s Restaurant. Fast food can often be disappointing and you can make a much more flavorful burger right at home. This burger consists of a beef patty topped with white cheddar cheese and caramelized onions. You can cook the burger on a griddle or in a pan. If you want you can also grill the burgers on an outdoor grill. The onions are cooked in the frying pan until slightly browned. I like to serve these burgers with French fries. Enjoy.
[amazon box=”B00I4X3XSQ,B07QY25R7M,B000R4B9MW” grid=”3″]Print
- 1 1/2lbs ground beef
- salt and ground black pepper (to taste)
- 4 slices white cheddar cheese
- 1 large onion (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or more as needed)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 hamburger buns
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, sugar and salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring frequently for about 20-25 minutes or until golden in color and wilted.
- Form the ground beef into 4 equal patties. Season on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat a griddle or large skillet to medium-high heat. Add the patties and cook, turning frequently until the burgers are fully cooked (the internal temperature has reached 160 degrees F.). During the last few minutes of cooking top each patty with a slice of white cheddar cheese. Cook until the cheese has melted.
- Place each burger on a bun and top with some of the caramelized onions.