Here’s a pizza that I found rather interesting – Mexican Pizza or some call it taco pizza. This pizza differs from most I have made because the crust is fried tortillas. Although I have never actually tried it, apparently they serve something like this at Taco Bell. I’m not really sure how theirs tastes, but this recipe is great. The filling gets packed between the 2 tortillas and then the cheese, tomatoes, and green onions go on top. This recipe can be adjusted to whatever you like on pizza. I had wanted to put some sliced black olives on it but unfortunately didn’t have any. This recipe may look like it takes a lot of work but honestly, I didn’t find it that time-consuming. Make sure to warm the refried beans before using because they will be much easier to spread. Enjoy.
- 1lb ground beef
- 1 (1 ¼ ounce) package taco seasoning
- 8 small flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 (16 ounces) can refried beans
- 2/3 cup mild salsa
- 2 cups Colby jack cheese
- ¼ cup tomato (diced)
- ¼ cup green onion (chopped)
- oil (for frying)
- With your hands mix together ground beef, taco seasoning, and water. In a large skillet brown ground beef over medium heat for 5-6 minutes.
- Break up the beef up into small pieces with a spatula while cooking. Set aside.
Add oil to a medium frying pan. Heat to medium-high and fry tortillas one by one for 30 seconds (or until browned) on each side.
- Be sure to pop any bubbles that form while cooking. You want to keep the tortillas as flat as possible.
- Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Warm refried beans and pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees. Stack each pizza by first spreading a layer of refried beans, then a layer of meat followed by a layer of salsa.
- Now stack another tortilla on top. Stack cheese on top of that followed by tomatoes and green onions. Repeat until all pizzas are stacked.
- Place on a baking sheet and put into the oven. Bake on 400 degrees for 8 minutes.