Here is a copycat recipe for the broccoli cheese soup from Panera Bread. This is a delicious soup that can be prepared quickly and is easy to make. The soup uses vegetables such a broccoli, carrot and onion and the base is chicken broth, milk and heavy cream. The soup gets a lot of flavor from cheddar cheese which is stirred in at the end and a little kick from crushed red pepper flakes. I like to serve this soup with a grilled cheese sandwich. Enjoy.
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 ½ cups broccoli florets
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk (divided)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add in the onions, carrots and broccoli florets. Cook to soften for about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix ½ cup of milk with the ¼ cup of flour.
- Slowly add in the broth, the remaining ½ cup of milk and cream. Stir in the prepared milk and flour mixture. Add salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes. Continue stirring and heat over medium heat until thickened, about 10-15 minutes.
- Once the soup has thickened, stir in the cheddar cheese until melted and smooth.