The ingredients of pizza go great stuffed into pasta shells. These pizza stuffed shells do require a little bit of work to prepare but they are worth it. The shells are stuffed with ingredients such as Italian sausage, ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, garlic and onion. Once the shells are stuffed, they are covered in pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, and pepperoni. I really like the combination of Italian sausage and pepperoni, it really adds a nice flavor to this dish. You can add additional pizza toppings to this recipe as well, such as green pepper and sliced mushrooms. I like to serve these pizza stuffed shells with garlic bread. Enjoy.
- 1/2lb jump pasta shells
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- salt and ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1lb ground Italian sausage
- 2 cups pizza sauce
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese (divided)
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- ½ cup pepperoni chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Cool the pasta shells according to package directions. Drain and run cold water over the shells.
- While the shells are cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the Italian sausage and cook while breaking it up into chunks with a spatula until fully cooked. Remove from the heat.
- In a small bowl mix together ricotta, 1 cup mozzarella, parmesan, and the egg. Stir into the ground beef mixture in the pan.
- Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish and spread a thin layer of pizza sauce onto the bottom of the dish. Spoon the filling into each shell and arrange them in a layer on top of the sauce.
- Pour some additional pizza sauce over each shell and top the shells with mozzarella cheese and chopped pepperoni.
- Place into the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the shells are heated through.