Making carnitas in the slow cooker is a great idea for a Mexican dinner. If you are not familiar with carnitas, carnitas are basically a Mexican pulled pork that is put under the broiler until the edges are crispy. This dish gets a ton of flavor from the juices that is it cooked in. The pork roast is very seasoned and then lime juice, orange juice, beer and salsa are poured over the roast. Once the roast has finished cooked it is shredded and then placed onto a baking sheet with some of the sauce. Once the pork has finished cooking in the oven it is ready to serve. You can use whatever type of beer you like, I used a good locally brewed dark beer for this recipe. You can serve this with tacos, burritos or just eat it by itself… it is that good! Enjoy.
- 4lb pork shoulder
- 5 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- juice of 2 limes
- ½ cup of orange juice
- 12 ounces beer
- ½ cup of salsa
- In a small bowl combine salt, cumin, chili powder, black pepper, oregano, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper.
- Place the pork shoulder into the slow cooker. Rub the chopped garlic and seasoning mixture into the pork shoulder on all sides. Add lime juice, orange juice, beer, and salsa. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until the meat shreds easily.
- Shred the meat using two forks. You can do this directly in the slow cooker or place it onto a cutting board, shred it and then return it to the slow cooker with the juice.
- Preheat the broiler of the oven. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Remove the shredded pork from the slow cooker and place it onto the baking sheet.
- Pour a few spoonfuls of the sauce over the top of the meat on the baking sheet.
- Place into the oven and broil for 5-10 minutes or until the edges of the pork are browned (keep an eye on it, you do not want to burn the pork).
- Serve on tacos, burritos, or even by itself.