Smoky Mountain Chicken is chicken that is glazed with a bbq sauce, baked in the oven and topped off with cheese, bacon, green onions and tomatoes. The combination of flavors really come together well in this recipe. If you would prefer you can grill the chicken instead of baking it or you could use the fry-pan and cover it to melt the cheese when finishing the cooking process. You can buy the BBQ sauce from the store or even make your own. I like to serve this recipe with a cold pasta salad. Enjoy.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 18 ounces barbecue sauce
- 8 slices cooked and crumbled bacon
- 4 slices Monterey hack cheese
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- ½ cup chopped tomato
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking dish. Season the chicken breasts on both sides with pepper, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning. Place the chicken breasts into the baking dish.
- Place into the oven and cook for about 25 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked (the internal temperature has reached 165 degrees F.) Cooking times will vary depending on the size of the chicken breasts.
- Remove from the oven and brush the chicken breasts on both sides with BBQ sauce. Top each chicken breast with a slice of cheese and some of the crumbled bacon. Return to the hot oven and bake for 8 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from the oven and top with green onions and tomatoes for serving.