Bacon is always a great topping for many dishes. This breaded chicken with bacon consists of fried chicken coated with breadcrumbs and topped off with bacon and cheese. The chicken is first coated with flour, then dipped in egg and then rolled in a breadcrumb and parmesan cheese mixture. The chicken is first fired in the pan until browned and then baked in the oven to finish the cooking process. If you want a save a little time, you can use pre-cooked bacon for this recipe and crumble it. You may need less of the flour and breadcrumb mixture depending on the size of the chicken breasts you are using. I like to serve this dish with wild rice. Enjoy.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 4 slices of bacon (cooked until crispy and crumbled)
- ½ cup flour
- ¾ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat, turning once, until starting to crisp. Remove the bacon from the pan and drain on paper towels. Leave the bacon grease in the pan to cook the chicken. Once the bacon has cooled, crumble it into small chunks.
- Season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper. Add the flour to a plate or pie dish. In another plate or pie dish beat the egg, and in a third plate or pie dish combine the parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs. Coat the chicken breasts first in the flour, then dip in the beaten egg, and then roll in the breadcrumb mixture. Repeat until all of the chicken breasts are coated.
- Heat the reserve bacon grease in the skillet over medium-high heat (if you used pre-cooked bacon, you can heat 6 tablespoons of vegetable oil in the skillet to brown the chicken). Add the chicken breasts and cook until browned on the bottom, turn over and cook until browned on the other side. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.
- Place into the oven and bake at 350 degrees F. until the chicken breasts are fully cooked (the internal temperature has reached 165 degrees F. Cooking times may vary depending on the size of the chicken breasts you are using.
- During the last few minutes of cooking top each chicken breast with some of the cheese and crumbled bacon.