It should come as no surprise that meatballs go great on a grilled cheese. This sandwich is loaded with meatballs covered in pasta sauce and mozzarella cheese. The meatballs are Italian style and use ingredients such as breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese. The meatballs are baked in the oven and then heated with a pasta sauce on the stove top. For the pasta sauce, you can use whatever brand that you prefer from the store. I like to cook these grilled cheese sandwiches on a griddle because I can cook them all at once, but a skillet will work as well. You can serve these sandwiches with extra pasta sauce for dipping if you want. Enjoy.
- 1lb ground beef
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups pasta sauce
- 8 slices French bread
- 8 slices Mozzarella cheese
- butter (for spreading)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl combine ground beef, egg, milk, breadcrumbs, salt, oregano, parsley, garlic powder, black pepper, and parmesan cheese. Mix well using your hands. Form the mixture into meatballs that are about the size of a golf ball. Place onto a lightly greased baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.
- Place into the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until fully cooked (the internal temperature has reached 165 degrees F. Remove from the oven. Slice the meatballs in half.
- Pour the pasta sauce into a medium saucepan, add the sliced meatballs and cook over medium-high heat until the sauce has become warm.
- Spread butter onto one side of each slice of bread. Top each bread slice with 1 slice of mozzarella cheese and some of the slice meatballs, cut side down. Top the meatballs with another slice of mozzarella cheese. Top with the remaining bread slice.
- Heat a large skillet to medium-low heat. Place sandwiches into the skillet butter side down. Spread butter on the top of each sandwich. Cook over medium-low heat for about 6-8 minutes or until the bottom is golden brown. Turn the sandwiches and cook for 5-6 minutes longer or golden brown and the cheese has melted.