Here is a copycat recipe for the three-cheese chicken penne from Applebee’s restaurant. I have never tried this dish at Applebee’s but this recipe looked too good to pass up. If you enjoy alfredo style pasta dishes you will want to give this one a try. Penne pasta is mixed with alfredo sauce and marinated grilled chicken and then topped with cheese and then baked in the oven. For serving this penne pasta is topped with a bruschetta mixture consisting of tomatoes, basil, garlic, and olive oil. The chicken gets its flavor from being marinated in Italian dressing. If you want the chicken to have a stronger Italian dressing flavor, increase the marinade time. You can either grill the chicken on an outdoor grill, use an indoor grill pan, bake it in the oven, or use whatever cooking method you prefer. Serve with garlic bread. Enjoy. (Makes 4 Servings)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup Italian salad dressing
- 3 cups penne pasta
- 15 ounces alfredo sauce
- 8 ounces combination of shredded Italian cheeses (mozzarella, parmesan, and provolone)
- 4 Roma tomatoes (seeded and chopped)
- 4 tablespoons fresh basil (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the chicken breasts into a large bowl, pour the Italian dressing over the chicken breasts. Cover with plastic wrap and place into the refrigerator. Allow the chicken to marinate for at least 2 hours (or longer if you want more flavor).
- In a medium bowl combine tomatoes, basil, and garlic. Toss with olive oil. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add penne pasta and cook according to package directions.
- Lightly grease the grates of an outdoor grill. Heat the grill to medium-high heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade and place it onto the grill. Discard the marinade. Grill the chicken breasts turning at least once until fully cooked (the internal temperature has reached 165 degrees F). Remove the chicken from the grill and allow it to cool for 10 minutes. Slice the chicken into thin strips.
- Lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking dish. Drain the noodles and toss them with the alfredo sauce. Stir in the sliced cooked chicken. Pour into the casserole dish. Top with shredded cheeses. Place into the oven and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until the cheese is lightly brown and the mixture is bubbly. Top with tomato and basil mixture for serving.