This baked potato casserole makes an excellent side dish that will go with all different types of meals. It is perfect to prepare for the holidays or as a side dish to go with dinner any night of the week. I like to serve this casserole with breaded pork chops or chicken. This baked potato casserole is easy to make, it consists of first boiling the potatoes, mashing them and then placing the mashed potatoes into a casserole dish with cheddar cheese and turkey bacon. If you would prefer you can use normal bacon as well. Once the casserole has almost finished baking it is topped off with additional bacon, cheddar cheese, and sliced green onions. This casserole dish can be prepared ahead of time by mashing the potatoes, mixing them with the cheese and bacon, and then placing the mashed potato mixture into the casserole dish. The dish can then be covered and placed into the refrigerator until it is ready to be baked. The baking time is going to be more because the dish will be cold if you are making it ahead the cooking time will be between 40 to 45 minutes at 350 degrees. After the dish has finished baking it would be topped with the leftover cheddar cheese, turkey bacon, and green onions and then placed back into the oven and baked again for an additional 3 minutes. If you are looking for a delicious side dish for dinner or to prepare for the Holidays, give this one a try. Enjoy.
(Makes 8 Servings)
- 8 medium potatoes (about 2 ½ to 3 lbs total weight, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks)
- 1 cup evaporated 2% milk
- ½ cup light sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (divided)
- 6 slices turkey bacon (cooked until crispy and crumbled)
- sliced green onions
- Place the potato chunks into a large saucepan. Fill with enough water to cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil. Cook over medium-high heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 2 ½-3 quart casserole dish. Return potatoes to the saucepan. Add evaporated milk, sour cream, salt, and pepper. Beat with a hand-held mixer until smooth. Stir in 1 ½ cups of cheddar cheese and half of the bacon. Spoon the potato mixture into prepared casserole dish.
- Place into the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through. Top with remaining ½ cup of cheddar cheese, remaining turkey bacon, and green onions. Bake for an additional 3 minutes or until the cheese has melted.