Beef stroganoff or beef stroganov has its origin in Russia. The dish has been named after one of the famous Russian families of Stroganov.
The dish was created by one of the French chefs that used to work for them. The dish has become quite popular across the world and is a comfort dish for millions of families that come together for dinner on special occasions.
- 1 lb top sirloin steak sliced in thin strips
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 lb brown mushrooms thickly sliced
- 1/2 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 clove of garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp green onion for garnishing
- Turn on the flame to medium and place a dutch oven or a thick-bottomed deep pan over it.
- Add 2 tbsp olive oil, wait for it to get very hot and then add the thinly cut beef strips in one single layer without overcrowding them in the pan.
- Let them sear over high heat without stirring them. Use a pair of tongs to turn them and cook until the beef is brown and the red color of the meat vanishes.
- It will take just about a minute or two to sear the beef. Take it out in a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Now add 2 tbsp butter in the pan and to it add the chopped onion and sliced mushrooms.
- Sauté for about 6-7 minutes or till the liquid from them has evaporated and onions and mushrooms lightly browned and soft.
- Add 1 minced garlic clove and sauté for a minute till you get the aroma of garlic. Add 1 tbsp flour and sauté another minute.
- Pour in 1 cup of beef broth and with your spatula scrape any bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Now add 3/4 cup of whipping cream and simmer for two minutes or until till the stroganoff is thickened.
- Take a few tablespoons of the sauce from the pan and add it into 1/4 cup of sour cream to temper. Doing this will keep the sour cream from curdling. Now add this cream to the pan and keep whisking the sauce.
- Now add 1 tbsp Worcestershire, 1/2 tsp dijon mustard and season with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. You can adjust the level of salt and pepper according to your taste.
- Wait for 10 seconds and then add the seared beef with any juices that it has left in the pot. Let the sauce bubble gently or till the beef has heated to the temperature of the sauce and then turn off the flame.
- Beef stroganoff tastes best with steamed white rice, egg noodles, creamy mashed potatoes, braised red cabbage, garlic bread and steamed beans or broccoli.
- For your stroganoff to turn out great make sure the beef is from the top sirloin, beef tenderloin, boneless rib-eye steak or filet mignon tips.