Biscuit recipe was developed in middle ages and the word is derived from the Latin word ‘bis coitus’, which means twice baked. Some people get confused between biscuits and cookies.
Biscuit is generally either sweet or savoury, but cookies are always sweet. A cookie is sweet, flat, baked goods and biscuit is a flour-based baked food product.
There are a variety of biscuit recipes with different tastes and textures. It is one of the best choices for any occasion or party. Biscuits can be enjoyed with tea or coffee and even nibbled alone. To make delicious biscuit, it is very important to mix the ingredients uniformly.
The main stage of making biscuit is mixing, forming, baking, and cooling. It is a popular snack worldwide and liked by all groups of ages.
Mixing is the most crucial and important part of making biscuits in which all ingredients are perfectly blended. They are different from other baked products due to less moisture content.
Mixing time and dough temperature also play a vital part while making biscuits. They need to be baked in the oven and both top and bottom sides of dough should turn into brown colour.
The inside texture will be light and soft to taste. Below is the biscuit recipe to make at home:Print
- All-purpose flour – 2 ½ cups
- Baking powder – 2 ½ tsp.
- Kosher salt – ½ tsp.
- Granulated white sugar – 1 tbsp.
- Unsalted butter – ½ cup
- Milk – ¾ cup
- Large beaten egg – 1
- In a large bowl take flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar. Whisk them together nicely.
- Add butter into the dry mixture and mix it properly
- Now add milk and beaten eggs to the dry mixture
- Mix it well and place it on a floured surface and knead the dough gently to make it a soft dough
- Take out ½ inch dough and cut into small pieces like biscuits
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees with a rack in the center
- Place the pieces of dough on the preheated baking sheet tray and brush them with a mixture of beaten egg and milk
- Bake the biscuits for 10-15 minutes until the top and bottom becomes golden
- Remove and serve it with butter.