There’s everything to love about a good chicken parmigiana. Even if it’s not ‘good’, you will still get some enjoyment out of it. The simple pairing of chicken and cheese, especially mozzarella, can never go wrong.
Although most of the times when you eat out and order a chicken parmigiana, you get a rubbery mess of knock-off mozzarella, you still enjoy it anyway.
I’m not an expert on cheese, but I certainly know the basic cheeses. Granted good cheese can be quite expensive and hence, making chicken parmigiana at home can be quite pricey.
But every now and then I like to treat myself and my family to a good chicken parmigiana. I’ve experimented with this recipe long ago to find the perfect combination of cheese to top these juicy, fried chicken breasts and it is safe to say, my family loves it!
You can also use this recipe to impress friends when you host them for dinner at home. Paired with a good wine, your dinner will definitely be remembered dearly.
For the chicken
- 2 large chicken breasts (boneless and skinless)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup flour
- 1 egg (beaten)
- ¾ plain breadcrumbs
- Olive oil
For the cheese:
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- ½ cup shredded sharp white cheddar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of cayenne
- ½ tsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Prep your chicken breasts by evenly pounding them with a mallet until it reaches a uniform level of thickness.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper on both sides
- Evenly coat the chicken breasts with flour on both sides
- Beat 1 egg and pour it over the floured chicken breasts and ensure they are coated
- Next, dip the chicken breasts in breadcrumbs until evenly coated
- Heat olive oil up to medium high.
- Once oil is hot, add the chicken breasts and cook until crispy and golden brown
- Set golden brown chicken aside
- For the cheese topping, mix the ricotta and cheddar cheese, then add salt and freshly ground pepper, cayenne, olive oil and evenly stir the mixture
- Spread out cheese mix on top of crispy chicken breasts and top it off with Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Place in 500 F degree oven for 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted properly
- While your chicken is in the oven, prepare your plate with marinara sauce and leave a hole in the middle of the plate
- Transfer cooked chicken onto the plate on top of marinara sauce
- Sprinkle freshly chopped parsley to garnish.