Chorizo sausage is great in a quesadilla. These quesadillas combine chorizo with pepper jack cheese and green onions. The quesadillas are cooked in the pan, then sliced and topped with a fresh salsa. The salsa is a simple combination of tomato, cilantro, white onion, jalapeno pepper and salt. It is important to have good chorizo sausage for this recipe. I find that a lot of the chorizo from the store does not meet my expectations but I can sometimes find fresh made chorizo from the meat department. If you want to make your own chorizo I have a delicious recipe for it on here. I like to serve these quesadillas with Mexican rice. Enjoy.
- 4 (12-inch flour tortillas)
- 2 cups pepper jack cheese
- 1/2lb chorizo sausage (store bought or homemade)
- 2 green onions (chopped)
- 3 Roma tomatoes (seeded and chopped)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (seeded and finely chopped)
- 1 small white onion (finely chopped)
- a handful of cilantro (finely chopped)
- In a small bowl combine tomato, jalapeno pepper, white onion, and cilantro. Season with salt and mix well.
- In a medium pan cook the chorizo while breaking up into chunks with a spatula until fully cooked. Drain off any excess grease.
- Preheat a large nonstick skillet or griddle to medium-high heat. Cook a flour tortilla for 20 seconds, flip. Cover half the tortilla surface with shredded cheese and bits of chorizo sausage and green onions.
- Fold the tortilla in half and press down gently with a spatula and cook for 30 seconds on each side. Remove from the pan and cut the quesadilla into 3 wedges and top with salsa.