This frito taco casserole is great to make for dinner. This casserole is loaded with a taco meat mixture that combines seasoned ground beef, refried beans, rice and much more. The mixture is prepared in a skillet and then spooned into a baking dish and topped off with Fritos and additional cheese if desired. There are several delicious toppings for this dish including sour cream, guacamole, lettuce, tomato, and black olives. I like to add the Frito chips during the last few minutes of cooking so that they do not get soggy. Enjoy.
- 1 1/4lbs ground beef
- 1 (16 ounces) can refried beans
- 1 (4 ounces) can dice green chiles
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup frito corn chips
- 1 cup of salsa
- ¼ cup of water
- 1 medium yellow onion (chopped)
- 1 (1.25 ounce) packet taco seasoning
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Brown the ground beef and onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat while breaking up into chunks with a spatula until cooked through and no longer pink. Drain fat.
- Season with salt and pepper and taco seasoning. Add salsa, chiles, and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in rice, 1 cup of shredded cheese, and refried beans. Transfer the mixture to a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Place into the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the dish is warmed through. During the last few minutes of cooking, top the dish with shredded cheese and tortilla chips. Cook until the cheese has melted.