You may have never even thought about it but Italian sausage is great on the grill. This recipe consists of grilled Italian sausage with onions and peppers in a sweet and sour sauce. This recipe can be completely prepared on the grill but I prepared it using a combination of the stovetop and the grill. Prepare the recipe on the stove top and then brown the Italian sausage on the grill. I like to serve this recipe on bratwurst buns but you could also serve it as is. Enjoy.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion (sliced into strips)
- 2 red bell peppers (seeded and sliced)
- 2 green bell peppers (seeded and sliced)
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2lbs Italian sausage links
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and peppers and cook stirring frequently until softened. Add vinegar and sugar.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the sausages and simmer for about 5-10 minutes. Remove the sausages from the pan reserving the pepper and onion mixture in the pan.
- Heat an outdoor grill to medium-high heat. Add the Italian sausages, and grill, turning occasionally until browned on all sides and fully cooked (the internal temperature has reached 160 degrees F.). Remove from the grill and return to the pan with the peppers and onions. Serve on buns if desired.
- Note: to prepare the recipe fully on the grill. When the peppers and onions have finished cooking on the stovetop, add the pepper and onion mixture to a 10-inch square aluminum pan. Add the Italian sausages to the pan.
- Set half of the burners of a gas grill to high heat, cover, and heat for 10 minutes. The sausages can then be browned on the grill according to step 2.