- In a large pot, begin by heating the olive oil over medium heat. You can add the garlic and cook until it is light brown. You can also add the turkey leg and the chicken stock to the pot.
- Proceed to simmer for 30 minutes with the lid on the pot.
- Turn the heat to medium-high and proceed to add the collard greens to the cooking pot. You can allow 45 minutes for the greens to simmer down, make sure you are stirring periodically.
- Go ahead to reduce the heat to medium and then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook for another 45 to 60 minutes until the greens are tender and dark green.
- Drain the greens and set aside the liquid. To reheat the dish leftovers, you can simply use the liquid.
- If desired, you can add red pepper flakes.
If you don’t fry them first, you will need to boil them for at least two hours with some kind of meat to lessen the bitterness of the greens in general.
You can watch this video recipe to know how to cook collard greens and how long it takes.