- 1 pound (16 ounces) of dried black-eyed peas
- One ham bone, leftover and frozen from a previously cooked ham recipe; you could also use about seven strips of thick-sliced bacon or salted pork
- salt and pepper, for taste
Cooking black-eyed peas on the stovetop
- Rinse the black-eyed peas in a strainer, eliminating any discolored peas as well as any small stones that may be present.
- Use a large, heavy-bottomed stockpot, pour in the rinsed black-eyed peas, and soak using two techniques. Cover with 2 inches of water for a quick soak. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 2 minutes. Alternatively, cover the peas with 2 inches of water and soak overnight. Allow to soak overnight in the stockpot, uncovered. To remove black-eyed peas from the soaking water, pour them through a colander after soaking.
- Return the peas to the stockpot and cook them over medium-low heat.
- Fill the stockpot with enough water to submerge the black-eyed peas plus an extra 2 inches.
- If using, add the ham bone, bacon, or salt pork. Use two tablespoons of olive oil to make the recipe vegetarian or vegan.
- Bring black-eyed peas to a moderate simmer and cook, stirring periodically and adding water as required, until they become fork-tender; this should take about two hours.
- Remove the ham bone and discard it; this will leave chunks of ham in the black-eyed peas that would have simmered into the peas. Remove and discard the bacon or salt pork if used. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Cooking black-eyed peas in an Instant Pot
- Fill the Instant Pot with water to cover the rinsed black-eyed peas by about 2 inches.
- If using, add the ham bone, bacon, or salt pork. Use two tablespoons of olive oil to make your recipe vegetarian or vegan.
- Cook for 25 minutes at high pressure in the Instant Pot with the cover on. Allow another 20 minutes for the pressure to release naturally.
- Remove and discard the ham bone, leaving chunks of ham in the black-eyed peas that would have cooked into the peas. Remove and discard the bacon or salt pork if used.
This recipe describes two great ways to cook black-eyed peas for delicious results. If you’d like to see more recipe ideas to try, we recommend this video recipe for some great ideas.