- Start by pre-heating the grill, for the charcoal grill add some charcoals and heat until white ashes form on the surface of the coals, pour them out, and arrange them on one side of the charcoal grate them cover the grill for about 5 minutes. While for the gas grill preheat it by setting it to high heat and covering the grill for about 10 minutes.
- Clean the grates and add some non-stick grilling spray to the grates.
- Use a pairing knife to slit the hot dogs how you’d like whether diagonal slits or criss-cross slits.
- You could choose to marinate the hot dogs with some liquid smoke and water just mix them, add the slit hot dogs to it, and heat it for a few minutes (don’t boil them). You could add some hot sauce to the pot if you want.
- After that pat them dry with paper towels and rub some melted butter on them, use a grilling tong to place them on the grill.
- Turn them regularly to evenly cook and if you’d want char marks you can do this for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Take the hot dog’s buns and rub some butter or garlic butter (garlic cooked with butter) on it then place on the grill so it toasts for a few minutes about one or two minutes.
- When the hot dogs start looking plump and done take them out and serve with the buns, some mustard, onion, and whatever you want.
This recipe is pretty easy to follow but if you want to see more grilled hot dog recipes and tips, check out this video recipe