Relish these roasted beets as a simple side dish, or dress them up with chives, fresh dill, goat cheese, and a thick balsamic vinegar, as I often do. You can also use them as an ingredient in a meal or on top of a hearty salad. Below are some suggestions to help you improvise.
- 1½ pounds of beets (in bunches or trimmed)
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of minced thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons of raspberry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon orange juice (optional)
- Sharp knife
- Aluminum foil
- Rimmed baking sheet
- Preheat the oven to about 375°F and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper to make clean-up easier. Under running water, scrub the beets thoroughly with a vegetable brush.
- Slice the base of each beet to make a flat surface, and the skinny pointy ends with a sharp chef’s knife. Place each beet flat side down on the cutting board and cut into halves, then into wedges of even thickness, about 1/2 to 3/4-inch thick on the widest edge.
- Place the beet wedges on the baking sheet that has been prepared. Drizzle the olive oil over the beets and season with salt. Toss the beets until they are uniformly coated, then arrange them in a single layer across the pan.
- Cook for 50–60 minutes. Every 20 minutes, check on the beets. If the beets appear to be drying out or scorching on the bottoms, dribble a tablespoon of water over them before re-wrapping. Beets are cooked when a fork or skewer easily slides into the center of the beet. Smaller beets cook faster than larger beets.
- Set aside the beets until they are cool enough to handle. Hold one of the beets with rubber gloves or a paper towel and rub the skin away with the paper’s edges. If the skin doesn’t easily peel away, the beets need to cook for a little longer. The remaining beets should be peeled.
- Serve with butter or cold in salads.
Nutritional Facts – Protein: 1g, Carbohydrates: 8g, Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Sodium: 646mg, Potassium: 267mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 6g, Vitamin C: 5mg,Vitamin A: 51iu, Calcium: 13mg, Iron: 1mg